CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Little Boy Blue


I wanted to update everyone on what has been going on with my sweet boy.  It has been awhile since I have posted on Parker, and I am thankful for that because things have been pretty calm up until recently.  We have been so careful not to expose him to germs and keeping him home as much as possible.  We met with the Gastrointestinal specialist on March 19th.  It was not a good visit, and I was treated as if Parker was my first born and that I was just being a "nervous" mom.  I was told that Parker's constant diarrhea was nothing more than "Toddler Diarrhea."  The look on the Doctors face when I told her that Parker was my fourth child was priceless.  Things seemed to change somewhat after that, but then we were sent over to Children's Hospital for more repeat testing and new testing.  Parker had 7 viles of blood drawn and we were asked to take stool samples over the next 48 hours.  (Oh the things we do for our children!).  A week later I was told that everything came back normal.  I questioned this information and was told again that all of his levels were normal including his IGa which had been extremely low (0.8 out of 60 just at the end of January.)  I was in shock, but knew that God could work miracles and had to trust that the Doctors were being careful with double checking his immune system levels. So we had been keeping Parker away from childcare situations, including church, and decided that we would all go to church as a family on Easter Sunday.  Jonathan and I prayed over this decision and prayed that God would put a hedge of protection around him.  Well, by Monday evening Parker started coming down with what I was hoping was just a simple cold, even though in my heart I knew even a cold could turn bad for Parker. He progressively got worse and I finally took him to the Doctor and he was diagnosed with strep throat.  This broke my heart!  I felt as if I had failed him as a Mommy because I was the one who had exposed his body to germs.  Then on April 6th, I got a call from the GI specialist and they said that they had overlooked some test results and that his stool samples were abnormal.  They showed that one of his intestines was extremely enlarged but they couldn't tell me which one (large or small) and what the cause was.  They are wanting a repeat sample done a month out from the last one which would be anytime after today (April 20).  They will hopefully be able to determine the cause and if it is viral, bacterial, or something more serious.  After receiving this information I decided to take matters into my own hands and have the hospital print out all of his test results for me.  If they had overlooked this, then they could have overlooked the other ones too.  I broke down in tears when I saw that all of Parker's levels were still so low.  Not because they were low, but because we had not been told the truth.  We forget that Doctors are just human and that God is the ultimate Physician and that our faith should be in Him alone.  So, we are again keeping Parker home until at least the summertime.  On Feb. 1st the ENT said that Parker would need his tonsils out if he had any more cases of strep.  So since he has had it again, Parker is possibly facing a tonsillectomy.  Please continue to pray for Parker and that he will stay well and that his immune system will get stronger.  Only God can heal his body and I know that He will do it in His own time.  We are praying for patience as we wait on God's perfect plan for our precious boy.

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.  Romans 12:12

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Jenny,this post made my heart hurt. Mommy instincts are a very powerful thing. I hope that you continue to find answers for Parker. You have such a positive outlook which is the best thing Parker can have from his mommy ( and lots of hugs & kisses too)!

mommy2alex said...

Thank you so much for the update on Parker! I adore the picture of him, he is so handsome!!
I am glad that you let your instincts give you strength to take matters into your own hands. I know that you and Jonathan will continue to do what is best for Parker. I know that no matter how bad he feels, he is so happy because of the loving family God gave him - He knew that you would do all that Parker needed.
Please give him BIG hugs from us - we love you all and miss you very much!

Ginger said...

Jenny,

I am so sorry that you guys are facing all of these issues with Parker. It is so hard to watch your babies suffer through illness. I know that you have a wonderful outlook on the whole situation, but sometimes it helps to talk about it too. I know what you are feeling b/c I have been there too. Although we have different situations we both can identify with one another. Sometimes the limitations can be hard. Satan tries to place the guilt factor on us. I am here for you to talk to, and I will be praying for you. I am so proud of your boldness with Parker's docs. You are his best advocate. Trust that "mommy instinct" b/c it will never steer you wrong. Your focus on God's glory and His will inspires me! Love you girl!!!

Tracy Grooms said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracy Grooms said...

Just wanted to let you know that we are continuing our prayers for Parker and for you and Jonathan as his fantastic parents! We went through the exact same situation (GI issues only) with Carter when he was the exact same age. Don't know if you remember or not, but give me a call and I'll tell you our story. Love you!

bekah said...

Hey Jenny,
This is Bekah Haddock from church. I just came across your blog from Katie Mercer's. I wouldn't typically comment, but this whole situation sounds exactly like what we had with Gabbi. We heard "toddler diarrhea" and that all her blood tests came back normal. Just like you, I decided to take matters into my own hands. Constant diarrhea is NOT normal! I began removing things from her diet, because I thought, she HAS to have an allergy to something she's eating. Low and behold, after months of diarrhea, I removed gluten. Within two days, the diarrhea stopped. Typically, people will say don't alter your baby's diet without first consulting doctors. For some reason, in my experience, doctors leave allergies as a LAST result. I trust doctors to an extent, because know our babies better than anyone. If you haven't done so yet, and are comfortable with it, I would start taking things out to see if he's having an allergic reaction to something. Just my advice, and again, only because it's personal to us. It was a hard season with Gabbi; she wasn't gaining weight and looked so sick. The Lord definitely saw us through and gave us answers. I'll pray the same for you all and Parker.
God bless.