CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 21, 2009

God's Sovereignty


I wanted to update all of my prayer warriors on our sweet boy.  A lot has been going on with Parker, and for me it has been difficult trying to understand exactly what is going on and just wanting answers.  I struggle with this daily.  Why do we always feel the need to have control and have an answer for everything?  I am praying that one day I can truly be at peace with the fact that things are out of my control and there is only ONE that has complete control.  And I am praying that I can be at peace with the fact that there will be things that I never will fully understand, but that our sovereign Lord knows EVERYTHING and that should be sufficient!  I have grown closer to the LORD during this time and for that I am truly thankful!
I sent out a praise last month that all of Parker's blood work had come back normal.  Well, when I took him to the Allergy & Asthma specialist for his follow-up appt. on Dec. 2nd, I found out that I was given some misinformation.  The blood work done on his immune system on Oct. 14th actually did show some abnormal results.  Some of his immune system levels were low.  So they reordered blood work to be done at Children's Hospital to determine if this was because he was so sick at the time of his last lab work testing, or if he had immunoglobulin deficiency syndrome.  They also checked his antibody titers for the DTP vaccine and the pneumococcal vaccine.  All of this information was too overwhelming for me!  And those of you that know me know that I am a researcher, and I immediately went home and "googled" those things just trying to understand what all of this meant.  After almost 2 weeks, I finally got all of his results back on Dec. 15th.  Thankfully his immune system levels were in the normal range.  However, his antibody titer levels for diptheria and pnemococcal were abnormally low.  The nurse explained to me that at the time Parker received these 2 vaccines when he was a baby, his body failed to produce enough antibodies to maintain these vaccines and that he would need to be vaccinated again to boost up his levels.  She also told me that this might explain why he has had recurring infections because his body did not have a protective level against these diseases.  The diptheria vaccine protects against bacterial diseases that affects the throat.  The pneumococcal vaccine protects against bacteria that is responsible for respiratory infections in upper/lower airways, and is the leading cause of ear infections and can cause pnemonia.  Doesn't this sound like what Parker has been dealing with?  Amazing!  So, on Dec. 17th, Parker was revaccinated with these 2 vaccines, and we are praying that his body will fight to maintain them.  I will take him back to Children's in 6 weeks (Jan. 28) and have his blood drawn again.  Then I should have his results back on Feb. 12th when we have a follow up appt. at the Allergy & Asthma specialist.  Continue to pray for Parker and that God's healing hand will be upon him.  He is still struggling with trying to get well.  We are still keeping him home to give his body time to heal.  Thank you to all of you who are praying for us.  It means so much!

The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house
of the LORD forever.
Psalm 23

3 comments:

mommy2alex said...

I know how hard it must be to wait and wonder and want to control, but you are so good to put it all in God's hands!
So glad that giving him the vaccine again may have worked! I'm praying that the next blood test will be normal and accurate!
Love to you all!
btw- Alex is working on Psalms 23 for Sparks right now!

Kristen said...

Oh Jenny this is so heartbreaking! Having a sick child is bad enough, but you have been going through so much with poor Parker. I hope questions contimue to have answers and Parker stays healthy! Oh and love th pic of Parker and all his hair ;)

Ginger said...

Jenny,

I am a terrible friend. I had no idea about all this with Parker. I have not been faithfully checking any of my blog friends. I will be praying specifically for Parker. That sweet boy. If you need to talk, about it please call me. I know Ty's situation is different, but I understand what you are feeling about not having control. Love you and your family lots!!!