CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Bus Stops Here

Lily begged and begged all last year to ride the school bus, and we promised her that when she got into First Grade that she would be allowed to ride the bus home. The only way we agreed to this was because we live less than 5 miles from the school, and the bus stops at the stop sign right in front of our driveway. A couple of days before school started, we memorized the bus # and I made sure Lily could still recite her address. So, on the first day of school I was waiting for her with my camera all ready to snap some pictures. Well, the bus came, and I kept watching kids get off, but I didn't see my Lily! The bus driver motioned for me to come to the bus door and he asked, "Are you Lily's Mom?" I told him yes and he informed me that Lily had gotten off at the previous stop. At first I thought he meant at the top of our street, but then I saw that he was motioning over toward the neighborhood right before ours. You can only imagine the panic that swept through me! I got in the van and prayed and prayed that nothing had happened to my sweet girl! Thankfully she was safe, just a little traumatized! We both cried and held each other for a long time! After we both calmed down, we talked about what happened and decided not to give up. Sometimes we have to experience hard things in order for us to grow and put our faith in God that He will take care of us! So that night we drove the bus route and I showed Lily exactly where she needed to get off. She tried it again the next day, and this time Lily made it home! She was so proud of herself, and now she rides it home everyday. Thank you, Lord, for keeping my baby girl safe!
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm91:1-2

5 comments:

Allyson said...

I am so glad Lily likes to ride the bus now! She looks so proud that she made it home! Way to go, Lily!

mommy2alex said...

OH MY!! That gave me chills and made my heart stop beating!! I cannot imagine how scary that was for both of you. I'm so glad that she wanted to try again...so proud of her!!
I'm so glad that she likes it!!

Ginger said...

Oh my goodness Jenny! That brought tears to my eyes. What an awesome mommy you are for teaching her through this situation about God's protection when we are scared. She looks like she loves that bus!!

Amy said...

You are such an inspiration to me as a mommy! What a great way to teach Lily not to give up when things seem overwhelming or too difficult! I'm glad Lily rides the bus, because it gives me a chance to love on her everyday at dismissal!

Amanda said...

Oh Jenny! What a scary moment. You are such a wonderful mommy!! I'm so glad she wanted to try again! Such a big girl!